Issue with Saved Content Controls

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I'm using the toolkit to associate multiple text/date fields together with XML using Word 2010.

It mostly works, but here is the problem I encounter

(Step 1) When I first open my .docx file, I can alter the content controls that have been associated. (i.e., changing one content control changes the other).

(Step 2)  When I first save the document after I have opened it, whatever changes have been implemented at the content controls are saved.

(Step 3) HOWEVER, when I keep the document open, and update the field again after the document has been saved, the new changes ARE NOT saved. Instead whenever I hit the save button the fields revert to the value they were given at (2) above.

Ex:

The linked fields in my document are for date. When I open the document, the date is 2009. I update the date to 2010 and save the document. The changes are saved. While the document is still open, I decide that 2011 is a better date, and I change the field to be 2011. I go on making other small edits to the text of the document. Then  I hit "save." When I hit save, the linked fields change from displaying "2011" back to displaying "2010"

Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Hi loydog

I could not reproduce this behavior with a simple document. Perhaps there is something else going on here, could you attach the document or send it to me directly so I can debug?

Thanks

Matt

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM

No problem at all. I'll send a simplified version of the doc to your e-mail.

Mar 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Hello, I believe this is a bug when you press save multiple times in the CC Toolkit when adding a new Custom Xml part, it will add this part multiple times.

Then it can not resolve the namespace properly when binding to it and you get the effect you juqst described.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:41 AM

HI! I wonder if you have already resolved this issue?  I am experiencing the same problems right now.  I have multiple fields but when i saved it and closed the document, the values were not save.  thanks.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM
Hi iyok80,

Apparently this is an issue with the namespace that you are using in the XML. My documents were somehow a part of the bibliography namespace, and so Word was interpreting them improperly. If you're creating custom fields, go ahead and add them to an entirely new namespace. If they are in an already-existing namespace, you will encounter this issue.

Go ahead and let me know if that helps.