Control Formatting

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM
Is it possible to format a 'mapped' content control in Word to either sentence case or title case, without having the other 'mapped' controls throughout the document changing in tandem. One can change a control to lowercase and all CAPS by changing the font on the controls to 'All caps', or leaving it as default lowercase text, however if you use Word's font feature to change the case of a control (to sentence case, title case, etc.), it will change all corresponding mapped controls. In writing business documents, it's often necessary to have a repeated word typed in sentence case in one place in the document, title case in another, and lower case in another, CAPs in another, etc.. Does anyone know a workaround for this issue?
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2008 at 6:54 PM
Hi MGriffith

I do not see the issue. I followed the following steps and noticed the following (inline):

1. Added 2 content controls to a new document
2. Mapped both content controls to the same XML node in the document data store
3. Selected one content control (clicked on the little grippy on the left hand side to select it)
4. Click Ctrl+D to open the Font menu
5. Checked the All caps option, clicked OK to close the dialog
6. Added the characters 'aaa' to the capitalized text inside the content control, clicked out to force an update
>> NOTICE: The uncapitalized text adds 'aaa' without capitilization
7. Added the characters 'bbb' to the uncapitalized text
>> NOTICE: the capitalized text adds 'BBB' to the end
8. Modified the XML store with 'ccc'
>> NOTICE: both controls are updated as expected 'CCC' and 'ccc'
9. Saved the document, reopened and performed 6-8. Results meet expectation.

Please let me know if you are reporting another issue.

Thanks
Matt

MGriffith wrote:
Is it possible to format a 'mapped' content control in Word to either sentence case or title case, without having the other 'mapped' controls throughout the document changing in tandem. One can change a control to lowercase and all CAPS by changing the font on the controls to 'All caps', or leaving it as default lowercase text, however if you use Word's font feature to change the case of a control (to sentence case, title case, etc.), it will change all corresponding mapped controls. In writing business documents, it's often necessary to have a repeated word typed in sentence case in one place in the document, title case in another, and lower case in another, CAPs in another, etc.. Does anyone know a workaround for this issue?

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:33 PM
As indicated by the first post; the problem is NOT with the ALL CAPS functionality, but 'Sentence case' and 'Title Case'. Again, in writing complex word documents, and repeating content, it is a distinct requirement to be able to change the capitalization beyond just lowercase and ALL CAPS. Is there a way to change mapped content control items such that that one is lowercase, while the same mapped control is 'Sentence case' or 'Title Case' (otherwise called 'capitalize each word') in MS Word.

Ex.

lowercase: the frog is a small frog.

ALL CAPS: THE FROG IS A SMALL FROG.

Sentence case: The frog is a small frog.

Title Case: The Frog Is A Small Frog.
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2008 at 9:30 AM
My mistake! I did some testing but could not come up with a way to apply Sentence Case \ Title Case to a specific content control without it updating other controls, my guess is that such a function changes the actual text which directly updates the XML data store as opposed to a a style \ font which lives on the document surface.