Licensing

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Feb 19, 2007 at 2:38 PM
Hi there

This is about the only tool I can find which clearly demonstrates binding custom XML to Word's new content controls. It's been a really valuable resource so thanks!

I would really like reuse the basic package and content control reading code into our application, but rewrite the UI. Under the MS LPL, it is slightly contradictory between points A) and C).

(A) No Trademark License- This license does not grant you rights to use any contributors’ name, logo, or trademarks.

(C) If you distribute any portion of the software, you must retain all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present in the software.

Does this mean we have to leave the About box in the app or are we free to adapt/simplify as necessary?
Thanks very much in advance.

Rob
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2007 at 2:30 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have sent a mail to our legal department about this issue and currently waiting for their response. I will update this thread when I have an answer to your question.

Thanks
Matt
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2007 at 5:28 AM
Hi Rob,

Here is the message I got official message I got back in response to your question:

Section (A), states that the license doesn’t give anyone the right to use our trademark for their own purpose – under the license we don’t grant someone to take our trademark and use it in their own works (say another trademark).

Section (C), states that if the trademark is within the software, then it must remain in the software. It doesn’t say that because someone is using it, they can use it as if they’re part of MSFT.