Fail to open. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I had this problem initially when I tried to setup a document that had my signature in it. I used the "Review" Section of word document to create my signature. I realized it that signature was a problem when I did everything from scratch without my digitally signed signature from my tablet. 

Now I wanted to edit my file and add some more fields, I deleted my signature but it seems like there might be some code in there for my object or signature that has now reference and it won't even open. 

I was wondering if you could fix it or if there is someway around it for now. 

Thanks,

Hien

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I replaced custome XML part in my program and had similar issue open up my report.docx.  I closed content toolkit, open report.docx in WORD, saved it then content toolkit can open report.docx.

I am not sure it helps in your case but try open the file and save using WORD then retry with content toolkit.

Good luck.

--

Kevin

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I found that "Ink Signature" in my case was a culprit.

If you want to ignore "Fail to open. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." and continue WCC load your file edit:

file: PkgNavigator.cs
line: 266
add:
 if (prXmlItemProp == null)
            continue;

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM
<div> <div style="font-family:Calibri,sans-serif; font-size:11pt">Thank you!<br> <br> Thanks,<br> Matt<br> <br> Sent from my Windows Phone<br> </div> </div> <hr> <span style="font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold">From:
</span><span style="font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size:10pt">dotsad</span><br>
<span style="font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold">Sent:
</span><span style="font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size:10pt">2/8/2013 6:25 AM</span><br>
<span style="font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold">To:
</span><span style="font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size:10pt">Matt Scott</span><br>
<span style="font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold">Subject:
</span><span style="font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size:10pt">Re: Fail to open. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. [dbe:243083]</span><br>
<br>
<div> <p>From: dotsad</p> <div id="ThreadNotificationPostBody">I found that &quot;Ink Signature&quot; in my case was a culprit. <br> <br> If you want to ignore &quot;Fail to open. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.&quot; and continue WCC load your file edit: <br> <br> file: PkgNavigator.cs <br> line: 266 <br> add: <br> <pre><code> if (prXmlItemProp == null) continue; </code></pre> </div> </div>