Mapping InfoPath Form Content to Word 2007 Doc

Topics: User Forum
Jun 8, 2008 at 5:51 AM
Edited Jun 8, 2008 at 5:53 AM
Novice here.

Can the Word 2007 Content Control Toolkit help me transfer data entered into an InfoPath 2007 form to a MS Word 2007 file?  If so, can you summarize the steps?  I have created some very complex InfoPath forms that do a good job of helping collect the data, but once collected, I would like to populate a variety of different MS Word files with different subsets of the form data.  I really want to be able to locate specific data elements at specific points in my Word docs.  I've activated the Developer tab in MS Word 2007, and used the Schema commands there to link the MS Word file to the appropriate XML doc files of the InfoPath form, but I don't get any data coming through into my MS Word doc.  I don't want to have to re-key the information in my InfoPath form into Word.  Hoping this tool can help!

Thanks.
Chris
May 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Hi Chris,

I've seen this old post and I'm also looking for a kind of solution like you. Did you get any improvements on it? If yes, could you socialize them?

Thanks,

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Me too - did either of you figure this out?
Jul 5, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Bluefire:

Yes. I had to pay some experts to learn what is possible. It turns out that a key aspect of MS Word 2007 XML automation had to be stripped out when a small firm claimed patent infringement. After a certain time, MS Word 2007 no longer could really consume InfoPath-generated XML in an easy, natural way. I don’t think it has been restored since removed from MS Word 2007.

Prior to that functionality being removed from MS Word 2007, it was possible to apply an MS Word developer resource tool to create a template, loaded in MS Word, that would arrange the InfoPath-generated XML to an MS Word desired doc format.

I am still able to make it work with my old MS Word 2007. It isn’t that straightforward in my opinion. I really wonder why MS makes it so difficult to experience the benefits of the XML that is going on under the hood.